- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The purpose of this investigation was to determine what effects different pH levels, more specifically pH 3, 5, 7 and 9 have on the rate of growth of plants.
- Essay length: 5648 words
- Submitted: 13/05/2012
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The purpose of this investigation was to determine what effects different pH levels, more specifically pH 3, 5, 7 and 9 have on the rate of growth of plants. It was hypothesised that if the pH is neutral, the growth of the plant will increase because the maximum availability of primary nutrients required for plant growth is greatest at a pH value between 7 and 9. Consequently if the pH is acidic then the growth of the plant will decrease because availability of primary nutrients required for plant growth will be less at a pH value between 1 and 4. An experiment was designed to determine what pH had the most positive effect on the rate of plant growth. It was found that pH 7 caused the largest rate of growth for the plants, with pH 9 following closely behind. Therefore the optimum pH for plants was in fact a pH of 7-9, however, in particular 7.
To investigate the effect of varying levels of pH on the growth of broad bean plants, thus determining the differences in growth between broad bean plants with higher pH levels and lower pH levels.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Green Plants as Organisms (view all)
- Investigation of Surface Area: Volume Ratio and its effect o...
- An Investigation into the Effects that Different Light Inten...
- Biology Lab Report. Does light intensity affect the rate of...
- The transpiration rate of a plant cutting is affected by the...
- Experiment to find the relationship between the size of the ...
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of cloning plants?
- Osmosis investigation. My prediction is that as the concent...
- Which seed will germinate faster a corn or bean in tap water...
- What is photosynthesis? Experiments that discovered the pro...
- Experiment Report on Best Fertilisers
""Zoey. University Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.