To determine the concentration of a sodium carbonate solution
Extracts from this essay...
To determine the concentration of a sodium carbonate solution Calculating the quantities and the concentration of the reagents Sodium Carbonate + Hydrochloric acid--> Sodium Chloride + Carbon Dioxide + Water Na CO + 2HCL --> 2NaCl + CO +H O Calculating the approximate concentration of the sodium carbonate solution (mol dm ³) Approx = 5 5 = 0.0472mol dm ³ Concentration Mr 46+12+48 The approximate concentration of Sodium Carbonate is 0.0472mol dm ³ Alkali : Acid 1 : 2 0.05 : x 0.05 : 0.10 Water : Acid 24 : 1 Equipment, apparatus and chemicals The amounts of solutions needed on:- * 20cm³ of 2.5 moles of Hydrochloric acid * 480cm³ of distilled water * 250cm³ of Sodium Carbonate * Methyl orange Indicator(which is red in acid and yellow in alkali)
* 1x Burette stand- this is to hold the burette in place. * 2x 25cm³ Labels- to measure 25cm³ of acid and alkali. * 2x Pipette filler- to fill the pipette with solution. * 1x White tile * 4x Conical- to contain 25cm³ of Na CO each for repeated titrations. * 2x Beakers- to hold the acid and the alkali. * Methyl orange Indicator- So I am able to see the colour change clearly. * 1x Safety glasses- to protect eyes (from chemicals etc). Method The dilution of Hydrochloric acid 1) Measure out 10cm³ of (2.5 molar) Hydrochloric acid. Using a filter funnel carefully transfer the solution into a 250cm³ standard flask. 2) If needed add distilled water until the level is close to the mark on the neck of the flask.
If it comes in contact with the skin, wash the area with plenty of water under the supervision of a teacher. If it comes in contact with the eyes, flood the eyes flood the eyes with running water for as long as it takes for medical help to arrive. Eye Protection must be worn at all times. I will take these precautions to make it a Fair test 1) I will take 3 concordant results 2) I will use the exact same apparatus for each experiment 3) Making sure that the apparatus is clean and free from contamination or residue 4) I will use the acid solution diluted so there should be no variation, instead of making a fresh batch each time 5) And The results will be recorded to 2 decimal places Sources > http://www.chielie.nl/gfx/pictogrammi_200_gebod_veiligheidsbril.gif > http://www.rjclarkson.demon.co.uk/junior/irritant.gif > Class Sheets
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
- Over 180,000 student essays
- Every subject and level covered
- Thousands of essays marked by teachers