- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
To Find Out Which Fuel Gives Out the Most Energy.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Aim: To find out which fuel gives out the most energy.
We will be using 6 different fuels to heat up 100ml of water, and find out the changes of the temperature. We will measure the temperatures of the water before and after the experiment. We will burn heat the water for exactly 2 minutes, and check the changes in temperature. The change in temperature will allow us to work out the energy given off the fuel by using this formula:
Mass of water x 4.2 (water's specific heat capacity) x temperature change = energy transferred from the fuel to the water
When the fuels are burnt, energy is given off. I will be calculating the energy given off using the formula above. The specific heat capacity is the energy needed (Joules) to heat 1 gram of water by one degrees Celsius.
To help me decide the vital elements of the experiment, I made a trial run using methanol to check if my chosen quantities and set up would work.
Height of can from burner: 5cm
Mass of burner at start = 204.47g. Mass of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Organic Chemistry (view all)
- Biofuels next generation
- Esters. Esters are formed from an alcohol and carboxylic ac...
- Comparing fuels
- Oil Exploitation- the environmental impact
- In this experiment our aim is to find out if the number of c...
- Formation of Aspirin
- Vitamin C Investigation.
- Fertilisers are substances that supply plant nutrients or co...
- Compare and Contrast the properties and reactions of Butane ...
- GCSE Chemistry Revision Notes - everything!
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.