- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Use the method of mixtures to find out the specific heat capacity of a mass of brass.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Paanii Ansah-Kofi 11A
Measuring the Specific Heat Capacity by Method of Mixtures
To use the method of mixtures to find out the specific heat capacity of a mass of brass.
Using this method of mixtures it should be possible to find out this value as the energy lost by the hot substance cooling down (brass), is equal to the energy gained by the cold substance heating up (water). Knowing that the S.HC. of water is about 4 200 J kg-1 K-1, we may find what this value is for brass.
* Firstly, the masses of both substances, brass and water, were measured on a weighing scale.
* The brass was then heated over a Bunsen burner in a water bath for a certain time period.
* The initial temperatures of both substances were also measured using thermometers. For the brass, the temperature after being heated is taken as its initial temperature.
* The hot piece of brass was mixed in with the water, which was presumably at room temperature.
* The maximum temperature of the mixture upon
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Green Plants as Organisms (view all)
- What affect does the length of cooking time have on the vita...
- Investigating the rate of cooling water in a beaker.
- How does temperature affect the permeability of a cell membr...
- Investigate which surface of a leaf loses more water by tran...
- Biology lab - transpiration
- Write a review of GM Crops for a newsletter, 500 words limit...
- Factors Affecting Seed Germination Lab - the effect of light
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of cloning plants?
- Osmosis investigation. My prediction is that as the concent...
- Which seed will germinate faster a corn or bean in tap water...
- Biology CourseworkTo determine if the distribution of flora ...
- The roles water in living organisms and water as a habitat f...
- Investigating Factors Affecting the Rate of Photosynthesis.
- An investigation into the effect of light intensity on the r...
- How the molar concentration of NaHCO3 (Sodium Hydrogen Carbo...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.