• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Water is everywhere. Earth is covered by more than 70% water.

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

Joshua M. Gendron Science research essay Water Water is everywhere. Earth is covered by more than 70% water. There is about 326 million cubic miles of water on earth. Out of all the water on earth, only 0.3% of it is usable by humans. The other 99.7% is unusable in oceans, ice and the atmosphere, and even out of that 0.3%, most of it is out of our reach. Water is the fundamental reason for sustenance of life on earth. Every living thing depends on it to survive, which is why water is so important. In this essay I plan to focus on the properties of water and its importance to human life, because it would take much to long to explain water's importance to all life. So exactly what is water? The structure of water molecules is unique. It consists of 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom forming the compound H2O, which is the chemical formula for water. ...read more.

Middle

Water requires more heat than expected to convert liquid water into vapor. Water is heated and cooled more slowly than expected so in effect it buffers sharp temperature changes. This ability aids life because it assists in keeping the body temperature constant. Homeostasis is the maintenance of a constant internal environment so water helps the homeostasis of body temperature. A normal human body temperature is 37 degrees centigrade or 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit and so the water in the body will be at that temperature. Therefore if the living environment changes from one extreme to another, hot or cold, then the water will take longer to adapt from the body temperature to the temperature of the environment. This provides a better resistance to fluctuations in environments and increases length of survival. The human body uses sweat to cool itself, and holds water in to help keep it warmer. ...read more.

Conclusion

It is necessary for maintenance of all exchange processes. It helps transport nutrients and waste products in and out of cells. It is necessary for all digestive, absorption, circulatory, and excretory functions, as well as for the utilization of the water-soluble vitamins. It is also needed for the maintenance of proper body temperature. If you add up all the reasons water is essential to human life on earth, which is really much more than I have listed in this paper, you can see the realization of why water needs to be preserved or we will all die. For all the knowledge we have gained in scientific study about water, there is yet much unknown about its importance. Water is the most studied substance on earth, and still very poorly understood. At first sight H2O seems to be an extremely simple molecule of hydrogen and oxygen, but that could not be further from the truth. Water is much more complex than is chemical formula would lead you to believe. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Green Plants as Organisms section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related GCSE Green Plants as Organisms essays

  1. Water is probably one of the most important resources we have. It takes up ...

    It prevents the burning of 22 billion gallons of oil or 120 million tons of coal each year. History Since the Industrial Revolution, pollution of all kinds has soared with an increase. All types of pollutions like air and water have been affected by the sudden use of machines.

  2. Biology revision notes - maintenance of life

    Plants living in dry conditions have a thicker cuticle. Most of the transpiration is through tiny holes called stomata. Plants need stomata to obtain carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. The size of stomata is controlled by guard cells which surround them. If plants lose water faster than it is replaced by the roots, the stomata can close to prevent wilting.

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work