- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
We will carry out an experiment to see how concentration affects rate of reaction between Sodium Thiosulphate and Hydrochloric Acid.
- Essay length: 3915 words
- Submitted: 22/09/2003
The first 200 words of this essay...
Rates of reaction coursework
We will carry out an experiment to see how concentration affects rate of reaction between Sodium Thiosulphate and Hydrochloric Acid. The equation for the reaction is=
S2O3(aq) + 2H(aq) S(s) + H2O(l) + SO2(g)
In order for a reactant to be broken down, the chemical bonds that hold the atoms together have to be broken by other particles bumping into them. The energy needed for this to happen alters from chemical to chemical, and this is called the ACTIVATION ENERGY. Increasing the temperature gives the particles more energy, and this makes them more capable of travelling faster and bumping into the bonds with more energy and breaking more, therefore breaking down the substance. Increasing the concentration of the substance also makes the reaction happen quicker, as this means that there are more particles, and in turn this means that more particles can react and more of the substances is broken down. Surface area also affects the rate of reaction. If the surface area is larger, then there are more particles exposed for reaction.
The rate of reaction is the amount of time it takes for the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Investigation exploring rates of reaction, using the reactio...
- Investigating the Rate of Reaction - Sodium Thiosulphate and...
- Investigate the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid a...
- Kinetic Theory of Matter Investigation
- Measuring the Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide Using Manga...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid...
- History of the Periodic Table
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.