- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What are the ethical and moral issues surrounding cigarette smoking?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Biology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
What are the ethical and moral issues
surrounding cigarette smoking?
Smokers enjoy the effects of nicotine in cigarettes, which is a tranquilliser relaxing the muscles and calming anxious people under stress. Nicotine suppresses appetite helping weight loss by causing food to be incompletely digestedC but enhances concentration, being a stimulant16 Nicotine takes 7 seconds to be absorbed into the blood stream and reach the brain and is proven to be addictive.11 Nicotine products, such as patches and gum43 are expensive and not incentives to stop smoking and "should be free"32. Nicotine stimulates the heart causing it to pump harder and faster increasing blood pressure and putting unnecessary strain on the heart, leading to heart attacks.15 Smoking causes lung cancer, chronic bronchitis, emphysema and heart diseaseG. One cigarette contains enough nicotine to kill a man if injected directly into the blood stream14.
Smokers are reluctant to give up smoking as this "causes more unhappiness"22, suffering and stress27 even though stopping causes a "better sense of taste and smell" and the "risk of heart attack halved"A. By stopping, smokers believe it will cause irritability, insomnia weight increase. Smokers report their cough worsening when they
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Humans as Organisms (view all)
- Biology Revision notes - Human Biology
- Design an Experiment to show how exercise can affect Heart R...
- The Effects of Exercise on the Heart Rate
- Biology notes
- For my investigation I am going to look at Reaction Times. ...
- Biology 1 Edexcel Science Overview Revision Notes.
- Premature Babies
- Genetic Diseases
- Human Circulatory System Revision Notes.
- The thyroid gland.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.