- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What effect different solutions, with the same water potential, have on potato and cucumber strips (by mass).
The first 200 words of this essay...
What effect different solutions, with the same water potential, have
on potato and cucumber strips (by mass).
Plants in the soil have their roots in a dilute solution of various
mineral ions. Sometimes, the soil they are planted in gets flooded
with sea water (which has an average of 0.3 sodium chloride
concentration). In these cases the roots are observed to wilt and
become flaccid. In my experiment, I will simulate this situation using
potato and cucumber strips, placing them in different solutions
(sodium chloride, glucose and sucrose) at different molar
A substance dissolved in water is called a solute. A solvent is a
liquid that is able to dissolve another substance, a solute, to form a
Water potential is a measure of the ability of a solution to give out
water. Water potential (y) can be expressed as the sum of the solute
potential (ys) and the pressure potential (yp). (y) =
(ys) + (yp)
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Green Plants as Organisms (view all)
- What affect does the length of cooking time have on the vita...
- Biology lab - transpiration
- Importance of Water.
- To find out whether a beaker with a larger surface area cool...
- To measure heat loss in two test tubes which represent bodie...
- Write a review of GM Crops for a newsletter, 500 words limit...
- Factors Affecting Seed Germination Lab - the effect of light
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of cloning plants?
- Osmosis investigation. My prediction is that as the concent...
- Which seed will germinate faster a corn or bean in tap water...
- Biology CourseworkTo determine if the distribution of flora ...
- The roles water in living organisms and water as a habitat f...
- Investigating Factors Affecting the Rate of Photosynthesis.
- An investigation into the effect of light intensity on the r...
- How the molar concentration of NaHCO3 (Sodium Hydrogen Carbo...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.