- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What is the effect of pH on the activity of the enzyme catalase?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Lab Report #2: Enzyme Lab
Aim: What is the effect of pH on the activity of the enzyme catalase?
Independent: the different amount of drops of Hydrochloric acid (HCL)/Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) and the substances which were tested.
Dependent: The height to which the bubbles rose in the test tube after the addition of liver (measured in millimetres).
Control: Amount of water, (20ml), Hydrogen peroxide (2.5ml) and liver puree (5 drops) in each of the beakers.
In living organisms, many chemical reactions must take place in order for it to function normally. These chemical reactions involve the breaking and reforming of chemical bonds between substrates of the reaction. However, though many chemical reactions occur spontaneously, processes such as the metabolic pathways, involve multiple chemical reactions which have to occur in a specific order. This is where a biological catalysts, known as the enzyme, plays a very important role. You see, enzymes have the task of catalyzing, (or speeding up), chemical reactions in a cell, all so that they can occur in a timely and sequential manner. The enzyme catalase, for instance, has the role of breaking down the toxic Hydrogen
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- Investigating the effect of Sucrose Concentration on the Rat...
- Energy content of foods
- Investigation into the effects of osmosis on Potato cells
- How does concentration affect osmosis?
- Investigation Into Trypsin Activity
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.