- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
William Harvey was the oldest of seven children. His being a boy as well as the oldest child gained him a good education. He was born in 1578 in England in a place called Kent during the reign of queen Elizabeth 1. He was a very talented student, first studying at Kings College in Canterbury and then went on to Cambridge University, where he earned his bachelor's degree in 1597 at the age of twenty. He decided to continue his schooling at the university of Padua, the best medical school of its time.
Padua was the best place for western and european medical instruction. William Harvey studied under the well known scientist and surgeon, Hieronymus Fabricius and it was under his tuition that Harvey got interested in anatomy. This was partly because Fabricius himself was a very ardent anatomist. He had figured out that the valves worked only one way in the veins, but could not figure out what their role was.
William Harvey then took the foundation of Fabricius's work and continued to try to solve the riddle of how the valves incorporated themselves into the circulation of blood throughout a human
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Humans as Organisms (view all)
- Investigating the effect of exercise on the heart rate and r...
- Factors Affecting the Development of Coronary Heart Disease.
- Biology Revision notes - Human Biology
- An experiment to investigate the rate of anaerobic respirati...
- Biology notes
- Premature Babies
- Genetic Diseases
- Human Circulatory System Revision Notes.
- The thyroid gland.
- Why is vaccination recommended if it can cause side effects?
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.