- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
‘Challenging the Patriarchal Ethos of Society Had Never Been the Agenda of the Indian State.’[Banerjee]. Discuss With Refernce To India Since 1948.
- Essay length: 2157 words
- Submitted: 11/05/2004
The first 200 words of this essay...
'CHALLENGING THE PATRIARCHAL ETHOS OF SOCIETY HAD NEVER BEEN THE AGENDA OF THE INDIAN STATE.'[BANERJEE]. DISCUSS WITH REFERNCE TO INDIA SINCE 1948.
The predominant force in social organisations of the Indian society is patriarchy, and the family is its chief institution. The Indian woman's self identity is deeply rooted not only in her marriage - but also in her role in the family, the community - the society. However, the English educated middle class of colonial India started questioning the rigidity of old traditions, and this gradually led to a change in the attitude towards women as well. The Nationalist movement saw women's participation in large numbers and they played a major role in the struggle for freedom. In 1917 the first women's delegation met the Secretary of State to demand women's political rights. The Indian National Congress supported this demand. In 1949 independent India gave them their due by enshrining in the Constitution the right of equality for women. Since then Indian women have participated in large numbers in people's movements including those for land rights, the environment, anti-price rises, anti-liquor agitation's etc.
However, in reality the status of women has not seen any real
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Discuss the difference between Quantitative and Qualitative ...
- The riots in 2011 were a reflection of Britains broken socie...
- I have chosen questionnaire for my primary research method. ...
- Les Miserables
- Compare Rawl's Theory of Justice with those of Nozick and Wa...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.