- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
"Age is a social construct". How far do you agree with this statement?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Age is a social construct".
How far do you agree with this statement?
The argument of age being a social construct discusses whether age is inclined to what we've learnt or its innate. This essay will discuss both aspects of age and come to a conclusion referring to the essay above.
Age generally refers to how old a person is, biologically, the biological process which brings about inevitable changes in outlook and behaviour, physical changes in the body, from teenage changes in hormones to elderly changes. However sociologists also point out that age is shaped by cultural norms and social factors, in different cultures age is viewed differently.
By 'social construction' sociologists refer to the way that labels or classification are not naturally occurring but they are categories that we create. Saying the age is socially constructed suggests that a persons chronological age is affected by societies norms attached to age groups which in turn means that each group is expected to behave a certain way and to have a certain role. Teenagers aren't expected to have a lot of responsibility and are expected to keep up with the latest trends, an adult would be
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the su...
- What do you consider to be the main causes of social conflic...
- A-Level Sociology Theory + Methods Revision.
- Compare And Contrast Marxist and Functionalist Views on Soci...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo