- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Assess the degree of freedom in Plato's republic.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Assess the degree of freedom in Plato's republic
In Plato's republic someone living in that kind of society today would view it very differently from someone from Plato's era. This means that we have to put everything in context. The other societies that Plato talked about were rubbished due to too much power given to one individual, and the leader giving in to the popular demand of the people even though it may not necessarily be the best thing for them. Plato's society of the Republic gave more freedom than some of the other society's discussed yet no where near as much freedom as we have today in our society. In Plato's democracy children would have a communal education, and then they would be assessed as they grew up then divided into he classes of gold, bronze, and silver. This division is what Plato's Republic was based around. The bronze workers were the field workers, and the silver was the soldiers, leaving the philosophers as the gold. The philosophers would be the people with the most freedom in Plato's republic. Although Plato says that as a philosopher he wouldn't be swayed by money or women. He would still
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Should Women have equal rights to Men? Men and women should...
- The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the su...
- The role of Women in today's society.
- This essay will explain the functionalist, Marxist and Socia...
- Briefly outline the differences between Weberian and Marxist...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.