- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Compare and contrast the portrayal of Indian marriages in the stories 'The Old Woman' and 'The Bhorwani Marriage'
The first 200 words of this essay...
Q. Compare and contrast the portrayal of Indian marriages in the stories 'The Old Woman' and 'The Bhorwani Marriage'
Culture is comprised of those things which we tend to cherish, and those things, which are important to us, being therefore the accepted and patterned ways of behaviour of a given people. India is one of the richest countries in the importance it gives to its culture and heritage. Marriage forms an important of Indian culture and traditions and is considered as one of the major pillars of society.
A traditional Indian marriage is an arranged affair in which the decision of the 'perfect spouse' is the parents', mostly the mother's, as is shown in the short story, 'The Bhorwani Marriage', written by Murli Das Melwani, and taken from Contemporary Indian Short Stories (1983). In 'The Bhorwani Marriage', we see an Indian mother, living in Uruguay, yet coming to India to visit a matchmaker, in search of good marital prospects for her daughter. Throughout the story, we see the mention of Indians living overseas coming to India in search of spouses for their children, showing how Indians retain their customs and values no matter how far away
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the su...
- What do you consider to be the main causes of social conflic...
- A-Level Sociology Theory + Methods Revision.
- Narrative Form of The Big Heat
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.