- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Consider how the portrayal of the female characters in "Hobson's Choice" relates to the social, historical and cultural context of the play.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Consider how the Portrayal of the Female Characters in "Hobson's Choice" Relates to the Social, Historical and Cultural Context of the Play
In this assignment I am going to discuss the portrayal of the female characters in "Hobson's Choice". I will explore the role of women in society, both at the time the play was set (between 1870 and 1880) and the time it was written (1916). I will then go on to consider how far Harold Brighouse's characters fit in with the social, historical and cultural context of the play.
The play was set in 1870. At this time, in Britain, men and women were treated very differently. Women had no rights. They were considered by men just to be baby makers and home planners. There were three main types of woman in 1870's Britain. These were: high-class women, middle class and lower/working class women.
With the different classes of woman came different lifestyles.
A woman of the upper class did not work. Instead, she was a homemaker. She would not do any of the manual work, but would plan who did which jobs on which days.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- Critically evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of qualitat...
- Marxist views on the family.
- Theories Of Ageing
- The Cultural Diversity of the Caribbean.
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.