- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Diversity - Gender and education Factors such as ethnicity, economic status and gender can affect educational outcomes
The first 200 words of this essay...
Factors such as ethnicity, economic status and gender can affect educational outcomes (Hughes, 1991). The 1944 Education Act promotes equality for children in school. In spite of this, it has been suggested that girls persistently tend to have different educational outcomes from boys (Hughes, 1991). There are many complex explanations linked not only to the educational process throughout history but additionally to social influence. The way in which children create their gender roles has an impact on the way they identify themselves and others. Stereotyping can impact on the way practitioners view children and can lead to discriminatory practice. It is vital to consider the hidden curriculum for unintentional signs of discrimination. Knowledge of legislation and initiatives that protect children's rights to an education irrespective of difference is of significance. As is the ways in which practitioners can promote equality. Through the use of key texts and the theories of experts it is possible to comprehend the impact that gender can have on learning and development.
In the nineteenth century characteristics such as class, race and gender were detrimental factors which decided the form of education a child received. Hughes (1991) suggests this is due to the educator's
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Should Women have equal rights to Men? Men and women should...
- The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the su...
- This essay will explain the functionalist, Marxist and Socia...
- The role of Women in today's society.
- Briefly outline the differences between Weberian and Marxist...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'