- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
For an increasing proportion of the United Kingdom population, protests and direct action have now replaced voting as a way of achieving political goals.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Assess the view that, for an increasing proportion of the United Kingdom population, protests and direct action have now replaced voting as a way of achieving political goals.
It is believed that for an increasing proportion of the United Kingdom population that protests and direct action have now replaced voting as a way of achieving political goals. However how true is this?
During the 1950s, it seemed like there was a degree of political consensus.
Functionalist argued that class struggle was on the decline and that the worst excesses of capitalism had been overcome by the mixed economy and the welfare state.
Classical pluralism is a theory of political power that claims that in western democracies power is dispersed amongst many competing groups. Pluralists argue that Power is diffuse rather than concentrated and that in society a large number of groups represent all the significant and different interests of the population. These groups compete with each other for influence over government. All these groups accept the legitimacy of the decision making process and of its outcome, and the competition between groups ensures that no one group dominates.
This classical pluralist position is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Should Women have equal rights to Men? Men and women should...
- Assess the Functionalist claim that the family benefits both...
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the su...
- The role of Women in today's society.
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.