- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Role of the Family in Society
The first 200 words of this essay...
Role of the family
Family systems, like biological organisms, evolve with time and circumstance.
It seems readily evident from an examination of the nature and role of the family in the developing world that form may indeed follow function. Many sociological studies conducted in recent years have indicated that the nuclear family is found at both the primitive and modern stages of economic evolution. The nuclear family predominated
in early societies with subsistence hunting and gathering economies where food supplies were uncertain, and still predominates in modern industrial societies where the marketplace requires the geographical mobility of small, nuclear systems. This pattern
of family roles in society, established over long centuries, still applies in most of the developing nations of the Third World.
Examinations of the sociological histories of various areas of Europe, Asia, and South America provide us with useful examples of the durability of the nuclear family. The nuclear family has always been important in the Third World societies of Eastern Europe, where households have been small and based on monogamous marriage, even where polygamy has been permitted. Ties to both parents? relatives have been and still are respected,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- The riots in 2011 were a reflection of Britains broken socie...
- Discuss the difference between Quantitative and Qualitative ...
- I have chosen questionnaire for my primary research method. ...
- Les Miserables
- Compare Rawl's Theory of Justice with those of Nozick and Wa...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'