- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
SOCIAL AND CULTURAL CHANGE AFTER WW2
The first 200 words of this essay...
World War II produced important changes in American life; some trivial, others
profound. One striking change involved fashion. To conserve wool and cotton, dresses
became shorter; vests and cuffs disappeared, as did double-breasted suits, pleats,
More significant was a tremendous increase in mobility. This set families in motion,
pulling them off farms, out of small towns, and packing them into large urban areas.
Urbanization had virtually stopped during the depression, but the war saw the number
of city dwellers leap from 46 to 53 percent.
War industries sparked the urban growth. Detroit's population exploded as the
automotive industry switched to war vehicles. Washington, D.C., became another
boomtown, as tens of thousands of new workers staffed the swelling ranks of the
bureaucracy. The most dramatic growth occurred in California. Of the 15 million
civilians who moved across state lines during the war, over 2 million went to California
to work in defense industries.
The war had a dramatic impact on women. Easily the most visible change involved the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- Discuss the difference between Quantitative and Qualitative ...
- Karl Marx and Max Weber have different views upon social cla...
- I have chosen questionnaire for my primary research method. ...
- The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the su...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'