- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Steel Toed Stilettos.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Steel Toed Stilettos
SOC 301/Lec A1
Man is the subject; woman is the object. This is the major premise of the gender binary hierarchy. Man is dominant and the woman submissive, active and passive, rational and emotional, strong and weak. Hegemonic masculinity is the 'maintenance of practices that institutionalize men's dominance over women' (Connell, 1997, p. 24). Emphasized femininity is compliance and the overall subordination of women to men (Connell). This will be an analysis of female strippers and those people in their environment, with special concern regarding the objectification of women, and the misleading emphasized femininity ascribed to dancers.
Men are the customers thought of when designing a strip club; there are scantily clad women, sports or pornography on television sets, even pool tables and arcade games. He is the subject. The women are objectified, the use of a pseudonym, or stage name, distances the customers, and the dancers, from the strippers' lives outside the club. However, there are more parties involved than the customer and the dancer. The parties involved extend from the dancers to their agents, the club owners/managers, the municipal government as well
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Discuss the difference between Quantitative and Qualitative ...
- The riots in 2011 were a reflection of Britains broken socie...
- I have chosen questionnaire for my primary research method. ...
- Les Miserables
- Compare Rawl's Theory of Justice with those of Nozick and Wa...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.