- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The application of identity as an 'unfixed' and 'unstable' state within visual arts. Identity as an 'unfixed' and 'unstable' state
The first 200 words of this essay...
The application of identity as an 'unfixed' and 'unstable' state within visual arts.
Identity as an 'unfixed' and 'unstable' state.
There are a number of complex theories which centre upon questions of identity. There are many issues that need to be considered when discussing this complicated area of study. I propose to examine some of these issues of identity with the support of the work of several artists whom I feel, at least in some part, directly or otherwise, deal with identity as an influence within their work.
"Personal identity within philosophical accounts almost always centres on the question of what internal feature of the person establishes the continuity or self-identity of the person through time". (1)
Judith Butler, in her book "Gender Trouble" warns us to be wary of considering the subject of identity as if there are set attributes within us that create or control the person we project outwardly towards others. We often believe that within each person there is a true and fixed identity. The theorist Foucault rejected this view. Foucault explained 'identity' as something we communicate to others during our interactions with them, a shifting and temporary construction. Because we
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- Critically evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of qualitat...
- Marxist views on the family.
- The Cultural Diversity of the Caribbean.
- Comparisons and contrasts between the theories of Karl Marx ...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student