- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The culture of a place
The first 200 words of this essay...
The culture of a place is an integral part of its society whether that place is a remote Indian village in Sri Lanka or a highly industrialized city in Western Europe. I am an international student from Taiwan. Life in the States is very different from my home country. The culture of America fascinates me because, at first glance, it seems so different. Everything that characterizes the America---racial heterogeneity, vast territory, and an ethic of individualism--- is absent in Taiwan. In Taiwan, I find an ancient and homogeneous society, an ethic that emphasizes the importance of groups, and a very traditional life governing every aspect of daily living, from drinking Chinese tea to saying hello. On the surface at least American and Chinese societies seem totally opposite.
When I first came to America as an international student, the first two weeks were a kind of a honeymoon for me. I arrived two weeks before the school starts. I had no trouble about accommodation since it was already arranged before I came to America. I lived with host family and I was surprised here and there because I was treated very differently. However, to study abroad was not at
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- Critically evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of qualitat...
- The Cultural Diversity of the Caribbean.
- Comparisons and contrasts between the theories of Karl Marx ...
- Marxist views on the family.
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.