- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The differences and similarities between functionism, marxism, and social action theory.
Not what you were searching for?
The first 200 words of this essay...
THE DIFFERENCES & SIMALARITIES BETWEEN FUNCTIONISM, MARXISM AND SOCIAL ACTION THEORY
Sociology is generally made up of three paradigms: Functionalism, Conflict Theory and Symbolic interactionism.
A paradigm is a set of assumptions that shape and underlie explanations of why society is the way it is (Early Stratification Theory, internet 2003).
Functional Theory is often traced from Durkheim, Parsons and Merton.
Functionalists believe in shared norms and values, which are influenced by the Family, Education, church and employment. It sees society as a shaper of people rather than people shaping society. The functionalist says we need social order in which to survive normally.
Roles are also important to the functionalist for example the roles in marriage.
The functionalist believe we as humans look at the roles played around us, for example, our parents and then we copy them. We think the pattern of life that we see is a natural one.
We learn roles from our family thus the son is expected to take the role/job of his father as is the daughter expected to cook and clean akin to her mother. The role of the family is to socialise its
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Karl Marx and Max Weber have different views upon social cla...
- EXAMINE AND ACCOUNT FOR FAMILY DIVERSITY IN THE UK
- I have chosen questionnaire for my primary research method. ...
- The role of Women in today's society.
- Marxist views on the family.
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo