- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The different theories of religion
The first 200 words of this essay...
Religion: the different theories of religion
There are 4 main theories, used when discussing religion they are:
Marx argued that religions primary function is to maintain reproduce and legitimate class inequalities. He argues that religion is an ideological apparatus, which serves to reflect ruling class interests and ideas
Marx said that' religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature... it is the opium of the people'
He argued that religion dulls the pain of oppression by:
* Promising a paradise of eternal bliss in the after life
* By often making poverty tolerable by offering heaven as a reward for they're suffering
* By giving the hope of supernatural intervention to solve the worlds problems
* Justifies social order/hierarchies- by saying that poverty is divinely ordained as a punishment for sin
Marxists would argue that religion does all of these things to help reinforce ruling class values and make those in poverty/working class not question their position therefore not disturbing the ruling class' position, by making them believe that either they will be rewarded for their
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the su...
- The role of Women in today's society.
- Positivism: "Love, Order, Progress" - Auguste Comt...
- What do you consider to be the main causes of social conflic...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.