- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the sub-populations of socio-economic class position, geographical location, gender and ethnicity, using relevant data from 'Our Healthier Nation' 1998
- Essay length: 5503 words
- Submitted: 22/12/2003
The first 200 words of this essay...
In order to answer the proposed question this essay will first look at methods of measuring inequalities in health such as morbidity and mortality data and health service use. Black et al. will evaluate the validity of these measures. The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the sub-populations of socio-economic class position, geographical location, gender and ethnicity, using relevant data from 'Our Healthier Nation' 1998 (OHN), 'Saving Lives: Our Healthier Nation' 1999 (SLOHN) and the Health and Lifestyles Survey.
In relation to social class inequalities in health both the Registrar General and the SEC method of measurement shall be interpreted. Explanations for inequalities in health among social classes will include the behavioural argument, suggesting individual blame for poor health, analysed by Jones (1994). This argument will be refuted by Busfield (2001), Black et al. , Moon and Gillespie (1995), Ham (1999) and the Acheson Report (1998) who suggest that material circumstances, such as poverty, low wages, occupational stress, unemployment, poor housing, poor education and limited access to transport and shops are pertinent explanations for health inequalities among different socio-economic groups. A further argument proposed by Illsely (1995) considers the role of ill health in distributing people into different
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- Marxist views on the family.
- Critically evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of qualitat...
- The Cultural Diversity of the Caribbean.
- Witchcraft in the 17th Century
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.