- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
"The main function of religion is to provide people with a code of behaviour which regulates personal and social life
The first 200 words of this essay...
"The main function of religion is to provide people with a code of behaviour which regulates personal and social life."
Assess the extent to which sociological arguments and evidence support this view.
Many sociologists believe that the main function of religion is to provide people with a code of conduct, which regulates personal and social life.
There are two main theories to what role religion plays within society. One of these theories is the Marxist theory. Marxism sees society as superstructure. They believe that society isn't peaceful and is based on conflict and exploitation. Religion makes this society justify inequality and maintains ruling class domination.
Karl Marx believed religion is a form of social "opium" which dulls oppressive pain and provides hope to the working class people who are being exploited.
In Marx's view religion is used by the ruling class to control the working class. This is done in many ways. One way is to make the working class believe that supernatural powers control events that happen on Earth, this makes social change seem impossible and therefore stops the system being challenged. Religion also causes people to forget why there is unhappiness in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- Discuss the difference between Quantitative and Qualitative ...
- Karl Marx and Max Weber have different views upon social cla...
- The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the su...
- I have chosen questionnaire for my primary research method. ...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.