- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The purpose of this essay is to describe four studies relating to gender each from a different perspective; functionalist, radical feminist, liberal feminist and Marxist feminist
- Essay length: 6514 words
- Submitted: 27/02/2007
The first 200 words of this essay...
The purpose of this essay is to describe four studies relating to gender each from a different perspective; functionalist, radical feminist, liberal feminist and Marxist feminist. Anna Pollert's study on working class women's factory experiences from a Marxist feminist perspective and Dobash and Dobash's study of the phenomenon of marital violence against women from the radical feminist perspective will be evaluated. The constraints of all four studies also will be detailed with the intent to discover the strengths and weaknesses of each perspective. Gender is contentious area of study and as such there are various competing theories, which attempt to extract the true essence of its meaning. When evaluating these theories, it is important to recognise that a collection of all four theories can be used together to gain an insight and understanding into gender.
Gender can be described as the designated role allocated to males or females at birth in which, dependent on the sex of an individual and their culture, the individuals are expected to conform to. The expected roles of males and females differ from culture to culture. Gender is culturally learned behaviour and therefore culturally relative.
A common sense assumption is that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Karl Marx and Max Weber have different views upon social cla...
- EXAMINE AND ACCOUNT FOR FAMILY DIVERSITY IN THE UK
- I have chosen questionnaire for my primary research method. ...
- The role of Women in today's society.
- Compare and Contrast Functionalism and Marxist Theories of t...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student