- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What has been the effect ofindustrialisationon the family?
Not what you were searching for?
The first 200 words of this essay...
What has been the effect of industrialisation on the family?
Family relationships are always recognized within wider kinship groups. In virtually all societies we can identify what sociologists call the nuclear family, two adults living together in a household with their own or adopted children. In most traditional kinship network of some type. When close relatives other than a married couple and children live either in the same household or in the same close and continuous relationship with one another, we speak of an extended family. An extended family may include grandparents, brothers and their wives, sisters and their husbands, aunts and nephews.
Before industrialisation there were a lot more extended families but after industrialisation there were a lot more nuclear families. Industrialisation refers to the emergence of mass production using machinery, based on the use of inanimate power resources (like steam or electricity). The family is viewed from all different angles which are based on the views of functionalists, feminists and Marxists just to name but a few.
The American Sociologist Talcott Parsons who is a functionalist believes that the family only has two main functions left which are primary socialisation and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- Discuss the difference between Quantitative and Qualitative ...
- I have chosen questionnaire for my primary research method. ...
- The Cultural Diversity of the Caribbean.
- Les Miserables
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.