- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
With reference to social class, explain to what extent differential achievement is still a significant aspect of education in the UK today. Use two contrasting theories and relevant studies
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
With reference to social class, explain to what extent differential achievement is still a significant aspect of education in the UK today. Use two contrasting theories and relevant studies in your answer.
There are many reasons why there is a difference of achievement in education today with regards to social class. This was far more prominent before the 1870 and the introduction of the education act.
Prior to 1870 education was not formally recognised and only available to the elite few who could afford to educate their children privately or at private schools. The poorer people of society would have to rely on the education of the church and its moral teachings rather than academic teachings. Although the 1870 Forster Act was to bring education to all children between 5-10 years old, it was not welcomed by everyone. Some thought it would lead to the masses 'thinking' for themselves and see their roles in society as unfair, causing them to revolt. Others such as the church were funded by the state with public money to provide education for the poor and these churches did not want to lose that influence on youth. Although this
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- Compare and contrast Marxist and Functionalist accounts of r...
- Evaluate the view that religion acts as a conservative force...
- To what extent to sociologists agree that the married couple...
- Assess the claim that the family has become increasingly sym...
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.