- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Constructing a pyramid of biomass reportt
The first 200 words of this essay...
A food chain is a sequence of organisms, each of which feeds on a type of organism from the preceding trophic level. However, food chains do not give an accurate picture of the complex feeding relations that exist between each trophic level. So, to have a better understanding of these feeding relations ecological pyramids are used - for example, pyramids of biomass. A pyramid of biomass shows the relationship between biomass and trophic levels by quantifying the amount of biomass present at each trophic level. The percentage of usable energy transferred as biomass from one trophic level to another level is called ecological efficiency and it is typically of 10% i.e. 90% of biomass is lost through not all of the organism being eaten, faeces and through respiration.
To study and analyse the relation between biomass and trophic levels i.e. of ecological efficiency and to construct a pyramid of biomass, a small area in a clearing in St.Julian's school's wooded area was investigated.
I expected to obtain a normal upright pyramid of biomass, as biomass decreases at each trophic level. This occurs because the transfer of energy from the producers to the primary
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Biology (view all)
- Sleep is a normal part of human life. Investigate the neurob...
- affect of light intensity on rate of photosynthesis
- EFFECT OF LIGHT INTENSITY ON THE GROWTH OF PLANT.
- : Hormone Levels During the Menstrual Cycle
- Biology: Lab report Germination
- Explain how water moves from the soil into the plant
- Genetically Modified Food
- Are Viruses Alive?
- Ecological studies of rice (Oryzae Sativa) populations
- Monohybrid Crosses in Maize Cobs
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.