- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Long QT Syndrome. Long QT syndrome is a rare heart rhythm disorder. It causes a very rapid heartbeat.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Long QT syndrome
Long QT syndrome is a rare heart rhythm disorder. It causes a very rapid heartbeat. These quick heart beats can trigger a sudden seizure or fainting spell. Sometimes, the heart beat so quickly for so long that is causes sudden death. Long QT syndrome is a rare disorder; however it is a severe, fatal illness. Symptoms usually appear during childhood and young adulthood.
There is no known cure for long QT syndrome; however, there are several treatments. Often, a combination of different treatments is used. One possible treatment option for long QT syndrome is an implantable cardioverter defibrillator. An implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) is a small device that is used to help treat irregular heartbeats, in this case, those caused by long QT syndrome. An IDC is placed in the chest or abdomen. It used electrical pulses or shocks to control arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats). ICD's are especially used in cases where arrhythmias are life-threatening and may cause SCA (sudden cardiac arrest). SCA can happen in those with long QT syndrome and most often causes death. The heart has an electrical system which naturally controls rate and rhythm of the heartbeats. With every
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Biology (view all)
- Sleep is a normal part of human life. Investigate the neurob...
- Biodiversity Investigation The aim of this investigation is ...
- : Hormone Levels During the Menstrual Cycle
- Biology: Lab report Germination
- affect of light intensity on rate of photosynthesis
- Explain how water moves from the soil into the plant
- Genetically Modified Food
- Are Viruses Alive?
- Ecological studies of rice (Oryzae Sativa) populations
- Monohybrid Crosses in Maize Cobs
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.