- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Combustion Essay. Burning, otherwise known as combustion, is an important chemical reaction.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Cheryl Chan 8YC/8C Science/Mr. Lee
Are chemical reactions important?
Burning, otherwise known as combustion, is an important chemical reaction. It is the state, process, sensation, or effect of being on fire, burned, or subjected to intense heat. The act of combustion often results in a fire, which contributes greatly to the world as it gives out energy and light. There are six different types of burning: rapid, slow, complete, incomplete, turbulent and microgravity.
Combustion is made according to the following formula: Fuel + Oxygen ? Carbon Dioxide + Water + Energy/Burning. It is a complex chemical sequence of exothermic reactions, in which a substance reacts rapidly with oxygen and gives off heat. Combustion is made when a fuel burns in oxygen, accompanied by heat or both heat and light. The original substance, the fuel, can be a solid, liquid, or gas and the source of oxygen; the oxidizer could also be a solid, liquid, or gas. New substances called oxides or exhaust are made as the fuel burns and come from chemical combinations of the fuel and oxygen. The temperature of the exhaust is high because of the heat that is transferred to the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- How does the change in temperature affect the rate of reacti...
- IB chemistry revision notes
- Kinetics of the Acid-Catalyzed Iodination of Propanone
- Electrolysis of copper sulphate
- Investigating the effect of ion concentration in electrolyte...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.