- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Hesss Law Lab, use Hesss law to find the enthalpy change of combustion of magnesium which is a highly exothermic reaction.
- Essay length: 4175 words
- Submitted: 11/06/2011
The first 200 words of this essay...
Hess's Law Lab
Hess's Law states that that the value of ?H for a reaction is the same whether it occurs directly or as a series of steps.
To use the Hess's law to find the enthalpy change of combustion of magnesium which is a highly exothermic reaction.
Determining the enthalpy change for the reactions of Mg in HCl(aq) and MgO(s) HCl(aq) experimentally and alongside that use the enthalpy change for hydrogen gas (Table value) when it is combusted , to find the enthalpy change for the combustion of magnesium.
The heat of combustion for magnesium can be determined by determining the heat of reaction for the following reactions:
1) Mg(s) + 2HCl (aq) MgCl2(aq) + H2(g)
2) MgO(s) + 2HCl(aq) MgCl2(aq) + H2O(l)
3) H2(g) + 1/2 O2(g) H2O(l)
Once these values have been obtained, I can add or subtract these values in order to achieve the heat of combustion for magnesium.
100 mL graduated cylinder
2 plastic foam cup
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- How does the change in temperature affect the rate of reacti...
- IB chemistry revision notes
- Investigating Solutions. In this experiment the effect of co...
- Chemistry Lab- Determining enthalpy change of a reaction. ...
- A Comparison of Strong and Weak Acids and Bases
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.