- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Biology Lab report
Title : Paper chromatography
Aim : to separate and identify of the pigments in leaves by paper chromatography
Principle of design:
In this experiment, a strip of filter paper containing a small spot of concentrated chlorophyll pigment is dipped in a mixture of developing solvent, the pigments was carried up the strip as the solvents move up. Since the solvents moved at different rates and pigments had different solubilities in them, the pigments gradually become separated. When the solvent was near the top of the paper, the paper was removed. After that, Rf (Relative front) for that substance were calculated. In this experiment, Rf values were used to identify the different substances present in the leaf extract mixture.
1. 3 leaves of spinach were ground in pestle and mortar by 2 cm3 of extraction solvent
2. the developing solvent was added into the boiling tube and it just touched the lower edge of the paper strip.
3. The tube was kept stopper to allow it to saturate with the solvent vapour
4. Both sides of paper strip were trimmed to make sure that the sides of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- How does the change in temperature affect the rate of reacti...
- IB chemistry revision notes
- Kinetics of the Acid-Catalyzed Iodination of Propanone
- Lab Report - Flame Test
- Investigating the effect of ion concentration in electrolyte...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Zoey. University Student.