- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Commentary -Germany's unemployment rate rose to 8.6% in March as the global economic downturn continued to tighten its grip on Europe's largest economy.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Germany's unemployment rate rises
Germany's unemployment rate rose to 8.6% in March as the global economic downturn continued to tighten its grip on Europe's largest economy.
The rate rose slightly from 8.5% in February, on an unadjusted basis.
In seasonally adjusted terms, the rate rose to 8.1% from 8%, official figures also showed. This equates to 3.4 million people, an increase of 69,000.
Unemployment rates have been rising across Europe, with the Spanish jobless rate the highest at more than 14%.
"The economic downswing is increasingly having an impact on the labour market," said Frank-Jurgen Weise at the Federal Labour Office.
The jump in the number of people out of work was bigger than many analysts had forecast.
"The increase was stronger than expected. That's obviously linked to the weaker economy. For the second quarter, we expect a slight decline and stabilisation after that," said Stefan Muetze from Helaba.
"But we have to assume that the job market will deteriorate further, well into 2010. At the end of 2009, we're likely to be near the four-million mark in unemployment figures," he added.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Economics (view all)
- Economics Extended Essay - To what extent has the market for...
- Unemployment IA
- Explain why the government might choose to grant a subsidy t...
- IB Economics Commentary on Market Failure
- Barriers to Economic Growth and Development
- Current account surplus/deficit - problems and solutions
- International Trade Economics Commentary. In hope of shifti...
- Macroeconomics Economics Commentary - patterns in America's ...
- This essay will evaluate the concept of what negative extern...
- Economics Essay on Supply and Demand and the operation of ma...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.