- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
IB Economics Commentary on Market Failure
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Economics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
This article from Newsaday.com, "proposed cigarette tax increase rile smokers in NY" is about cigarette smoking in New York as a cause to market failure. The government tried to tackle the problem of market failure through the implementation of an increase in indirect tax (a tax imposed on spending)
In this article, I will evaluate whether the government intervention was effective with its method of eliminating market failure.
Market Failure is the failure of an unregulated market system to achieve allocative efficiency (the situation when no resources are wasted) or social goals. In this article there are two causes to market failure: the oversupply of demerit goods (a good which the political process had decided is socially undesirable) and the negative externality of consumption (cost of consumption by society but not the consumers themselves).
The consumption of demerit goods impose negative externalities on the society, where the private costs incurred by the smoker where he/she damages his/her own health, are less than the social costs experienced by the society who involuntarily experience passive smoking, as well as air pollution. However, the price that is paid for each packet of cigarette is not
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Economics (view all)
- Explain why the government might choose to grant a subsidy t...
- IB Economics IA Commentary. Title of Extract: Economys gain...
- Explain the Main Sources of Market Failure that Can Occur in...
- Economics Article Commentary. London gets EU reprieve over a...
- Extended Essay Economics
- Current account surplus/deficit - problems and solutions
- International Trade Economics Commentary. In hope of shifti...
- Macroeconomics Economics Commentary - patterns in America's ...
- This essay will evaluate the concept of what negative extern...
- Economics Essay on Supply and Demand and the operation of ma...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.