- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Brezhnevs rule saw the improvement in living standards as well as education. Yet, these successes were counter-measured by the deterioration in other social aspects
The first 200 words of this essay...
Brezhnev came to power in 1964, in a time of great instability which stemmed from Khrushchev's rule. The years of Brezhnev's rule saw a great upsurge in the development of nuclear power as well as the reversal of Khrushchev's policies and the return towards Stalinism; there was a decline in the economy, art and literature were greatly censored and living standards suffered. There were serious housing shortages, poor living conditions, a lack of consumer goods, and low working conditions and wages for both workers and peasants. It can be said that Brezhnev's reforms in attempting to solve these problems were not without failures.
Brezhnev's rule saw great societal discontent due to many shortages which arose from Khrushchev's rule. Peasants were faced with harsh living conditions and were forced to live in crowded shared or communes. Brezhnev's rule saw the improvement in living standards as well as education. Yet, these successes were counter-measured by the deterioration in other social aspects; divorce rates increased, illegitimate children were common, and there was a growth in single-parent households, which subsequently stirred up a rise in youth crime. There was also an increase in workplace absenteeism, which damaged the economy, and also an increase
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Causation of Cold War
- Stalin and Mao. Compare and contrast the domestic policies ...
- Why did the Second Spanish Republic Fail?
- Analyse the factors that contribute to Hitler(TM)s rise to p...
- Compare and Contrast the Policies of Alexander II and Alexan...
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.