- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Britain in WWI
The first 200 words of this essay...
Britain Richard Mäekallas
By the 20th century, Britain was not anymore the most economically dominant country, it was outrun by Germany. However imperialistically it was the most successful. Colonialism and army were key factors of what was considered to be success. The empire had colonized about 30 million square kilometres of land, Britain itself being only 0,3 million square kilometres. It's most precious colony being obviously the rich, densely populated and historic India.
Though Britain's army might have been average sized and average skilled, its great Royal Navy was a big necessity in the war. As mentioned before, Germany was back on its feet. This was mainly through the defeat of France in the Franco- Prussian war thanks to Bizmarck. England was not naive, and soon realised that it was Germany, that was the biggest threat to them since Germany was having rapid industrial growth and their imperial ambitions were growing (Germany didn't have many large colonies).
In the 1870's England first begins to sense Germany's industrial advances harming them. But by the 1890's Germany was already trying to attack England's imperial politics wherever and however possible. In 1898, England saw Germany's intrusion into
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Comparing Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece
- To what extent was Germany responsible for the failure of th...
- The Treaty of Versailles vs. The Treaty of Vienna. Both the ...
- Investigation: The Cuban Missile Crisis as a Thaw in the Col...
- Causes of the Spanish Civil War
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.