- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Chief Justice Marshall
The first 200 words of this essay...
The article "Chief Justice Marshall Takes the Law in Hand", by Wernick discusses how Marshall and Jefferson, mainly Marshall " took separate and independent actions ensuring that a nation, one and indivisible, would eventually result". This article simply clarifies the truth to us about what kind of nation was brought up by two men who detested each other. This article brings us back to the early 1800's where the first sight of nationhood came into the hands of these two different men.
In February of 1803, the Supreme Court declared for the first time a law unconstitutional that had been passed by congress and passed by the President. This was the decision given in the case called Marbury vs. Madison. After this famous case Jefferson went over what were pretty much the Presidents power by buying Louisiana from Bonaparte for $15 million. Marshall remains as "austere and shadowy figure" (Wernick, 114) who is remembered pretty much only for writing many brilliant decisive decisions. Two books about Marshall bring him to life as a talented and appealing figure.
Jefferson and Marshall were second cousins once removed but their opinions were completely different. Jefferson was a slaveholding aristocrat
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Comparing Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece
- The Treaty of Versailles vs. The Treaty of Vienna. Both the ...
- Compare and contrast Mussolini's and Hitler's rise to power
- Causes of the Spanish Civil War
- To what extent was Napoleon III responsible for the unificat...
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.