- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
History Before WWI
- Essay length: 5859 words
- Submitted: 05/03/2010
The first 200 words of this essay...
1 WHAT LED TO THE DOWNFALL OF THE TSAR?
[A] Russia under the tsars before 1914
- Russian dominance
- The size and diversity of the empire made it extremely difficult to govern
- National minorities resented Russian control; saw russification as a fundamental attack on their way of life and a monstrously unfair policy that discriminated against them
- One of the policy of russification involved making non-Russians use the Russian language and adopt Russian customs
- Russian officials were put in to run regional government in non-Russian parts of the empire
- Russian language used in schools, law courts and regional governments
- Russians got important jobs in government and state-sponsored industry
- During the 19th century, protests and uprisings from national groups seeking more autonomy
[B] The social structure of tsarist Russia
- Life was hard and unremitting
- Most were poor, illiterate and uneducated
Land and agriculture
- Agricultural methods were inefficient and backward
- Not enough land to go around
- The vast expansion of the peasant population led to overcrowding
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Discuss the short and long term consequences of the Indian M...
- To what extent was the alliance system responsible for the o...
- Proxy Wars during the Cold War
- According to Machiavelli, what qualities should the ideal Pr...
- To what extent was the Spanish American War of 1898 a turnin...
- Outline the reasons for the rise of Chinese Nationalism afte...
- To what extent were the social changes in Germany between 18...
- I generally disagree that "the Six Day War shocked the ...
- Analyse the reason for, and the nature of, opposition to tsa...
- Compare and contrast the causes and nature of the February a...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student