- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
History Before WWI
- Essay length: 5859 words
- Submitted: 05/03/2010
Are you in the right place?
Jump to History and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
1 WHAT LED TO THE DOWNFALL OF THE TSAR?
[A] Russia under the tsars before 1914
- Russian dominance
- The size and diversity of the empire made it extremely difficult to govern
- National minorities resented Russian control; saw russification as a fundamental attack on their way of life and a monstrously unfair policy that discriminated against them
- One of the policy of russification involved making non-Russians use the Russian language and adopt Russian customs
- Russian officials were put in to run regional government in non-Russian parts of the empire
- Russian language used in schools, law courts and regional governments
- Russians got important jobs in government and state-sponsored industry
- During the 19th century, protests and uprisings from national groups seeking more autonomy
[B] The social structure of tsarist Russia
- Life was hard and unremitting
- Most were poor, illiterate and uneducated
Land and agriculture
- Agricultural methods were inefficient and backward
- Not enough land to go around
- The vast expansion of the peasant population led to overcrowding
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- George Washington's Greatest Achievements
- How far do Trotsky(TM)s own misjudgments account for his fai...
- Rwanda Genocide
- Proxy Wars during the Cold War
- Analysis of Erasmus's Work: The Praise of Folly
- Life in the Past - tzi and Hatchepsut
- Pre history study notes
- How Important Was Ideology in Starting the Cold War?
- IB History HL, Extended Notes: Russia, the Tsars, the Provis...
- IB, Paper 1: USSR under Stalin, 1924-1941. Analysis of sour...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.