- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
In what ways did developments in Germany affect the Cold War between 1945?
The first 200 words of this essay...
In what ways did developments in Germany affect the Cold War between 1945 - 1961?
On May 8, 1945, the unconditional surrender of the German armed forces, the "Wehrmacht", was signed by Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel in Berlin, ending World War II for Germany. Due to administrative purposes the Allied powers divided the country into four occupational zones. While located wholly within the Soviet zone, because of its symbolic importance as the nation's capital and seat of the former Nazi government, the city of Berlin was not considered to be part of the Soviet zone. Within this context, the developments taking place in Germany happened to have a vast impact on the tension build-up of the Cold War. To answer the question, not only diplomatic elements but also economic elements and elements of European Integration have to be taken in consideration. But in August 1961 when the conflict faced its climax because Khrushchev unexpectedly closed the borders and only two choices were left for Kennedy; to either surrender or use force against Russia's threat, the situation found its turning point.
After the Third Reich was effectively abolished in the spring of 1945, the country was placed under military
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Causes of the Spanish Civil War
- Why did the Second Spanish Republic Fail?
- The End of the Cold War.
- Was the Tsar to blame for his own downfall?
- Gandhi's Ahimsa Strategy. Gandhi has been described as The ...
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.