- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Johnson's Great Society. The two main social reforms that The Great Society tackled were racial injustice and poverty.
The first 200 words of this essay...
IB History 11
May 13, 2012
Johnson's "Great Society"
To a great extent the Great Society was successful in its set goals. The two main social reforms that The Great Society tackled were racial injustice and poverty. Along with those main focuses, Johnson also tackled education, medical care, urban problems, transportation and the arts. In many respects Johnson continued the legacy of the New Deal and the New Frontier. He believed a greater quality of life was necessary for all American citizens. He strived to achieve this through the policies of "The Great Society."
"THE GREAT SOCIETY" WAS INTRODUCED AFTER THE POST WWII PROSPERITY BEGAN TO DECLINE. TO RECOVER THE DECLINING ECONOMIC GROWTH AND EMPLOYMENT, TAX CUTS WERE PUT INTO ORDER. THE TAX CUTS CAUSED AN INCREASE IN SPENDING AND REVENUE, WHICH HELPED ILLUSTRATE THE GAP BETWEEN THE WEALTHY AND THE POOR. IT DID NOT MAKE "THE POOR...VICTIMS OF THE WELFARE STATE," (DOCUMENT D) BUT ACTUALLY HELPED THEM. THE WAR ON POVERTY WAS THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL PART OF THE "GREAT SOCIETY." IN JOHNSON'S FIRST MONTHS OF PRESIDENCY, HIS FOCUS WAS ON ELIMINATING HUNGER AND DEPRIVATION OF AMERICAN LIFE.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- The Domestic Policies of Stalin
- The cold war - the conferences and the start of the cCold Wa...
- Why did Germany & Her Allies Lose WW1?
- To what extent was the arms race the key cause of the Cold W...
- Compare and Contrast the causes of World War I and World War...
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.