- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Scientific Revolution was a significant intellectual movement, which caused the modification of old misconceptions and the rise of new ideas. The Scientific Revolution was a pivotal time period of European history. The Scientific Revolution was characterized by advancements in astronomy, mechanics and medicine.
The Scientific Revolution made the most achievements in astronomy. Despite living in a time period before the Scientific Revolution, one of the most influential astronomers of the Scientific Revolution was Nicolas Copernicus. Nicolas Copernicus was significant to the revolution because he was one of the first astronomers to reject the geocentric theory, which stated that earth was at the center of the universe. Furthermore, the geocentric theory stated that the universe was a series of crystalline, transparent, concentric spheres and that the spheres moved in circular movement around the earth. It also stated that the motion of planets was steady and unchanging. The geocentric conception was the creation of the two Greek intellectuals Aristotle and Ptolemy. Both scientists were still influential during the 17th century. Copernicus rejected the geocentric theory and advocated and published the heliocentric theory, which stated that the sun not the earth was at the center of the universe. In On
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Causes of the Spanish Civil War
- Why did the Second Spanish Republic Fail?
- The End of the Cold War.
- Was the Tsar to blame for his own downfall?
- Gandhi's Ahimsa Strategy. Gandhi has been described as The ...
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.