- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Stalin and Mao. Compare and contrast the domestic policies of two rulers of single party states, each chosen from a different region.
- Essay length: 788 words
- Submitted: 22/12/2012
- Awarding body: Not known/Not applicable
The first 200 words of this essay...
IB World History
Compare and contrast the domestic policies of two rulers of single party states, each chosen from a different region.
The beginning of the 20th century provided the rise of powerful leaders of single party states. Leaders such as Stalin and Mao ruled over Russia and China and effectively made their rule known not only to other countries, but its own people as well. Although both Stalin and Mao utilized self-promoting propaganda, Mao endorsed a policy of social reform whereas Stalin did not.
Both Stalin and Mao utilized self-promoting propaganda to generate populist enthusiasm in both Russia and China. To begin, both Stalin and Mao had a cult of personality. For example, according to Pavel Litvinov, the Russian people believed he was an absolutely perfect individual and he always had Russiaâs people in his mind and according to Michael Lynch, Mao . This shows that both leaders were seen as godlike figures that were going to fix all the problems in the state. In addition, both leaders encouraged glorification of themselves. The Chinese people all owned little red books that included Maoâs
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Discuss the short and long term consequences of the Indian M...
- To what extent was the alliance system responsible for the o...
- Proxy Wars during the Cold War
- According to Machiavelli, what qualities should the ideal Pr...
- To what extent was the Spanish American War of 1898 a turnin...
- Outline the reasons for the rise of Chinese Nationalism afte...
- To what extent were the social changes in Germany between 18...
- I generally disagree that "the Six Day War shocked the ...
- Analyse the reason for, and the nature of, opposition to tsa...
- Compare and contrast the causes and nature of the February a...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.