- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Stalin and Mao. Compare and contrast the domestic policies of two rulers of single party states, each chosen from a different region.
- Essay length: 788 words
- Submitted: 22/12/2012
- Awarding body: Not known/Not applicable
The first 200 words of this essay...
IB World History
Compare and contrast the domestic policies of two rulers of single party states, each chosen from a different region.
The beginning of the 20th century provided the rise of powerful leaders of single party states. Leaders such as Stalin and Mao ruled over Russia and China and effectively made their rule known not only to other countries, but its own people as well. Although both Stalin and Mao utilized self-promoting propaganda, Mao endorsed a policy of social reform whereas Stalin did not.
Both Stalin and Mao utilized self-promoting propaganda to generate populist enthusiasm in both Russia and China. To begin, both Stalin and Mao had a cult of personality. For example, according to Pavel Litvinov, the Russian people believed he was an absolutely perfect individual and he always had Russiaâs people in his mind and according to Michael Lynch, Mao . This shows that both leaders were seen as godlike figures that were going to fix all the problems in the state. In addition, both leaders encouraged glorification of themselves. The Chinese people all owned little red books that included Maoâs
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- According to Machiavelli, what qualities should the ideal Pr...
- The League of Nations was unable to enforce its policies or ...
- Compare and Contrast the Democratic Successes and Failures o...
- To what extent was the alliance system responsible for the o...
- Compare and Contrast the causes of World War I and World War...
- Life in the Past - tzi and Hatchepsut
- Pre history study notes
- How Important Was Ideology in Starting the Cold War?
- IB History HL, Extended Notes: Russia, the Tsars, the Provis...
- IB, Paper 1: USSR under Stalin, 1924-1941. Analysis of sour...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student