- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Territorial expansion was the main cause of the civil war. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
The first 200 words of this essay...
IB Contemporary History
Topic: Territorial expansion was the main cause of the civil war. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
The civil war is associated with southern succession, slavery, and the Republican Party, all factors which this dispute entailed. The initiation for such conflict though, lies in the territorial expansion that Americans believed was destined for the United States at the time. Territorial expansion pinned Americans against one another when debating whether the new states should be slaves states or not, questioned the power the Federal government had in comparison to states' rights, and put at risk the unity of the U.S.A as a nation. With a vast majority of land acquired through agreements such as the Louisiana Purchase it was difficult to decide whether slavery should spread further west, not do so, or be equally distributed. How this was going to take place led to a long and costly conflict known as the American Civil War. I strongly agree that territorial expansion was the main spark that ignited the civil war.
As the U.S expanded west, conflicts over slavery grew more bitter and Americans began to identify
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- League of Nations
- The League of Nations was a failure. How far do you agree wi...
- To what extent was the alliance system responsible for the o...
- According to Machiavelli, what qualities should the ideal Pr...
- French Revolution: Success or Failure?
- Life in the Past - tzi and Hatchepsut
- Pre history study notes
- How Important Was Ideology in Starting the Cold War?
- IB History HL, Extended Notes: Russia, the Tsars, the Provis...
- IB, Paper 1: USSR under Stalin, 1924-1941. Analysis of sour...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Zoey. University Student.