- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
"The First World War was an Accident of History" Discuss
The first 200 words of this essay...
"The First World War was an Accident of History" Discuss.
The question proposes the idea that statesmen did not intend for their political plans or decisions to consequentially influence or encourage the major conflict within Europe from 1914 to 1918; therefore, implying that no one is to blame for the out-break of the First World War. However, historical evidence suggests that Germany's reputation as a potential threat in Europe dates back since 1870 during the Franco-Prussian War; therefore, Germany holds some responsibility for the Great War. This argument can be verified by exploring long-term causes such as imperialism since 1880; leading to high amounts of tension between colonial powers. Influential causes also include Kaiser Wilhelm the second's antagonistic notion of Weltpolitik after the Fall of Bismarck in 1890, the role of the alliance systems since Bismarck's Dual Alliance in 1879; and finally, the events of the July crisis of 1914 during which Germany handed to Austria-Hungary the "blank-cheque".
Imperialism - in this case, the seizing of territory in Africa and Asia overseas - led to significant rivalry between European colonial powers from 1880 to 19141. Tension between imperialist states heightened mainly between Britain, France and Germany as
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Stalin and Mao. Compare and contrast the domestic policies ...
- Why did the Second Spanish Republic Fail?
- Compare and contrast Mussolini's and Hitler's rise to power
- Assess the view that Khrushchevs policies were a failure bot...
- Causes of the Spanish Civil War
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student