- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
"The First World War was an Accident of History" Discuss
The first 200 words of this essay...
"The First World War was an Accident of History" Discuss.
The question proposes the idea that statesmen did not intend for their political plans or decisions to consequentially influence or encourage the major conflict within Europe from 1914 to 1918; therefore, implying that no one is to blame for the out-break of the First World War. However, historical evidence suggests that Germany's reputation as a potential threat in Europe dates back since 1870 during the Franco-Prussian War; therefore, Germany holds some responsibility for the Great War. This argument can be verified by exploring long-term causes such as imperialism since 1880; leading to high amounts of tension between colonial powers. Influential causes also include Kaiser Wilhelm the second's antagonistic notion of Weltpolitik after the Fall of Bismarck in 1890, the role of the alliance systems since Bismarck's Dual Alliance in 1879; and finally, the events of the July crisis of 1914 during which Germany handed to Austria-Hungary the "blank-cheque".
Imperialism - in this case, the seizing of territory in Africa and Asia overseas - led to significant rivalry between European colonial powers from 1880 to 19141. Tension between imperialist states heightened mainly between Britain, France and Germany
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- The End of the Cold War.
- Explain the USAs policy of containment. How successful was t...
- Compare and Contrast the rise to power of Hitler and Lenin
- Irish Potato Famine
- To What Extent Were Hitlers Policies the Cause of World War ...
- Outline the reasons for the rise of Chinese Nationalism afte...
- To what extent were the social changes in Germany between 18...
- I generally disagree that "the Six Day War shocked the ...
- Analyse the reason for, and the nature of, opposition to tsa...
- Compare and contrast the causes and nature of the February a...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.