- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Uses and Abuses of History - Margaret Macmillan
The first 200 words of this essay...
Does history have a use beyond understanding the past? According to Margaret MacMillan, history enables humans to understand each other and to prevent the repetition of past mistakes. However, the value of history is limited to the accuracy of its interpretation. Although history is often a guide and friend, it can be harmful if used improperly, which is why MacMillan's book is appropriately entitled The Uses and Abuses of History.
History is valuable because it allows humans to understand each other. For example, the Cold War (1946-1992) was dangerous because neither side understood the other. The Americans believed the Soviets wanted world domination when their motives were traditional Russian ones, dictated by their history of being invaded repeatedly (156). The Communists assumed that capitalist countries would attack them, even though western intervention was supported half-heartedly by politicians like Winston Churchill1, who had little appetite for conflict by the end of the First World War (156, 158). Failure by both sides to understand the other's history resulted in an unnecessary confrontation. In addition, the Americans lost the costly Vietnam War because they overestimated the willpower of South Vietnam and underestimated the determination of North Vietnam (156). If they had
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Stalin and Mao. Compare and contrast the domestic policies ...
- Compare and contrast Mussolini's and Hitler's rise to power
- Why did the Second Spanish Republic Fail?
- Assess the view that Khrushchevs policies were a failure bot...
- Compare and Contrast the Policies of Alexander II and Alexan...
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.