- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Was World War One a Total War?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Was it a "Total War"? Define and conclusion
A Total War can be defined as a conflict that encompasses a total mobilization of resources such as human, industrial, agricultural, military with an aim to have such an output that the enemy won't be able to overcome. Perhaps the largest difference between a Total War and a normal war is that there is no difference between those who are fighting and the civilians; they are all seen as an enemy.
From this point of view, World War One could definitely be considered a Total War because it was a complete contrast to the limited wars of the 18th Century which were small, trying to avoid battles, not touching the society and continuing the trading systems.
Firstly, WW1 had an all encompassing character which although it began with the Germans and Austrians fighting against Russia, Britain and France. Within a few months all other European powers such as Turkey, Italy, Rumania and USA ended up joining the war. What at first could have been only a small conflict in the Balkans region, due to the alliance system it became a total war because it suddenly involved everyone
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- To What Extent did the Locarno Pact Achieve German Aims?
- Why did the Reds win the Russian Civil War?
- Why was the USA unable to defeat communism in south East Asi...
- Investigation: The Cuban Missile Crisis as a Thaw in the Col...
- US History Review Sheet -Black Power, Eisenhower's foreign p...
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo