- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
George Elliot wrote Middlemarch in the year 1871. Middlemarch is the town where the novel takes place. George Elliot's incentive for having started writing was to create a new, different kind of writing which distanced itself to the melodramatic novels which female authors were writing at the time.
Middlemarch is a novel about a character called Dorothea, who is an inhabitant of the town and stands out for her striking beauty and surrealistic views on life. The author first described Dorothea's character and then conveyed her attitude towards Dorothea through the use of literary techniques. She used the town of Middlemarch as the background of the plot to help portray Dorothea's life path.
Dorothea (otherwise known as Miss Brooke) is immediately portrayed as the main character that had striking beauty, which was "thrown into relief by a poor dress." Her figure was very feminine; from her hands, wrists, to her stature and profile create a delicate feminine figure. This property she has separates her from the average towns person. Dorothea is an exceptional woman: she is smart, pious, and beautiful, and the governing principle of her character is her desire to help the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Languages (view all)
- Macbeth Critical Response Essay
- L'etranger chapitre 2 et 3
- IB English Poem Commentary - "Child and Insect"
- Fasting Feasting by Anita Desai Detailed Study Notes
- Commentary on Aftermath by Sassoon
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.