- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
IB HL Math Portfolio - Volumes of Cones (Type III)
The first 200 words of this essay...
In this assignment, I will use WinPlot, a graphing display program.
1. Find an expression for the volume of the cone in terms of r and ?.
The formula for the volume of a cone is: V = 1/3 x height x base area
To find the base area, we must find the radius of the base.
The circumference of the base of the cone = the length of arc ABC
2? ? rbase = r?
rbase = r? / (2?).
The area of the base can therefore be calculated:
Abase = ? ? rbase 2 = ? ? ( r? / (2?))2
Next, we must find the height of the cone, h.
Notice that for the cone, h rbase r is a right angled triangle, with r as the hypotenuse.
Therefore, using the Pythagorean Theorem, we can find h.
r2 = h2 + R2
r2 = h2 + (r?/2?)2
h2 = r2 - (r?/2?)2
h = ? [r2 - (r2?2/4?2)]
Therefore, substituting the values for
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Maths (view all)
- Math IA patterns within systems of linear equations
- Math IA -Modelling Population Growth in China.
- Infinite Surds
- IB Math SL Portfolio Type 2 Population in China
- The purpose of this paper is to investigate an infinite summ...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.